Thursday, February 9, 2012

Book Review: Kisses from Katie



"This is the place where I am supposed to follow Jesus, obey Him, and make my best effort, with His gracious help, to treat people with dignity and care for them unconditionally. To say yes to each and every thing He asks of me, to each person He places in front of me." -Katie Davis

Let me start by saying, EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK! I recently read Kisses from Katie in about 3 days flat.  Yes, with two children around.  I played my own version of Russian Roulette staying up way too late with my nose in this book, praying that the little one would sleep until morning.  I was totally engrossed in this book.

Katie Davis, a now 22 year old, from Nashville, Tennessee has a strong desire to follow the Lord.  Her desire to be obedient to His plan for her leads her to Uganda, where she loves on, feeds, and ministers to nearly everyone she meets.  She leaves behind a glamorous, comfortable life to do what she knows is right.  She leaves behind her parents' expectations for her life, her convertible, her boyfriend.  She plans on being in Uganda for a year and then returning to the States to honor her parents' desire for her to go to college (which she reluctantly does) .  Her year long hiatus from the United States helps her determine that the Lord is calling her to Uganda long term.  She has adopted 14 children and continually fosters children until they can be placed with someone to care for them.

Although I find the details to be overwhelming and somewhat extravagant in some cases, it is her heart that charms me.  Her heart to view every situation with the same lens of our Maker.  To see people and situations as the Lord sees them.  To be obedient when she doesn't think it's possible or practical.  To be obedient when she doesn't want to.  To be filled with the Spirit every day, every hour, every minute.  To not be complacent or comfortable but to be stretched beyond our imagination in living a life that serves the Lord.  That's what I want.  To be at the center of God's will for our life.  Want to be stretched, inspired, and encouraged?  Read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment