Saturday, December 10, 2011

Day One: What? No Infant Car Seat?

 Big blue bag with everyone's clothing for a week -check. Diaper bag- check.  Carry-on with computer and reading material- check. Friend's guitar- check. Infant car seat- check.  


November 14, 2011: We were on our way to La Ceiba, Honduras for a "Vision Trip."  Our sending agency, Mission to the World (MTW) and Team Honduras require a trip to confirm your calling to that area.  We had arranged for Jacob to stay with our closest friends in Phoenix so we could tote just Asher along for our whirlwind trip. And we're off!

We had left the wealthiest country in the world and traveled 13 hours to arrive in the second poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.  We proceeded through the tiny airport, through passport control to pick up our luggage and head to customs.  In Phoenix, we had debated gate checking the car seat but decided to check it so we only had to lug the guitar with us to the plane.  We immediately found our big blue bag and searched for the infant car seat to no avail (it was in a neon yellow bag, nonetheless).

Every fiber of my (Michelle's) being was on it's way to panic. "What?  No car seat? In a third world country? This is my baby we are talking about!!  Someone is stealing it out back right now! Shame on you Michelle Cain for thinking that.  Am I going to hold a baby in the car the whole week?  Is that legal? Probably. Maybe not. Why didn't we gate check it, again?  Why am I in Honduras with one child but not the other. Why. . ."  But after 3 seconds of processing, I felt a peace.  I do serve a sovereign God and having no car seat is no surprise to Him.  My thoughts quickly changed, "This is going to be my life if we move here.  God knows my troubles and is bigger than this.  The Lord has already worked this out."

And He had: our airline had a handful of loaner car seats.  We used one for the week and I'm sure even Asher didn't know the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment