Monday, April 3, 2017

The Best Teachers

A team of six from Texas and a team of two from Florida came to my home last night for dinner.  As they came into the house, the boys and I greeted them and I then turned back to the kitchen to finish the cooking.  Asher, trailing on my heels, begs, "Mommy, what can I do for you?  Can I fill the water pitcher for the drinks table?"  I am not above accepting a five year old's help so I reply, "yes," as my heart is in awe and wonder of my sweet children.  We are at the tail end of three groups visiting over the course of about five weeks and my kids are still going strong.  Their regular schedules and homeschooling has been turned on it's head and swapped for grocery trips, dorm prep, and more tasks or errands.  (They are learning "life skills" is how I soothe my type-A, list-following, schedule-loving teacher self!)   


On one of our grocery runs, we got blasted by rain 
right as we stepped out of my car!

Christ's words in Matthew 18 pop into my head and I know the kingdom of God is seen in the humility of children, even my children.  I am reminded so often that they provide such a great example to me of faith and teach-ability.  Sometimes, my boys are the greatest instructors.  I saw some of the characteristics I desire most in their service in the last month and thought I would share them.  


Used their skill set
My children are usually extremely helpful. At home, they wash dishes, sweep the floor, fold laundry, set the table, wipe down counters and so much more.  This past month, they went many places with me. They went to the grocery store, they went to our house so I could wash linens for the team, and they "lived" at the dorms (at our team's more central project) for three days straight while I prepped the kitchen and the beds for the very first team of the season.  Do you know what they did in each of those places?  They served in what they already knew how to do.  They lugged grocery bags into the kitchen, they pushed a broom around, they folded rags and towels, they wiped down dusty tables and counters, and they even washed dishes (without prompting) the first night after dinner as the tired team retired to their beds.  They let God use them in what they already knew how to do.  They didn't wait until they were tall enough to operate a huge mop or coordinated enough to prep an entire meal, they used their current skill set to serve.   


I turned around to this sweet view! The boy carrying my load!



Asked for help
How difficult is asking for help?  It's a pride issue in my life.  I see so much of it in our home culture in the States, too. Independence and autonomy are king.  Codependency and a need for community are seemingly signs of weakness.  But these children??  They have no problem asking for help (sometimes to the bane of my existence! ha!).  I tell them in my parenting that "you can't complain about not receiving help of you haven't asked for help!"  Every time it tumbles from my mouth, I wince in self rebuke. How often I moan that no one is helping me when I have not requested assistance.  When I have asked them to help with a task that was too big (or towels that were too big), they simply asked for instructions, additional help or another task.  I want to have the humility of kids. I want the ability to reach out to others and ask for help. I want the ability to reach out to the Lord and say, "I can't do this by myself.  Only with you, Christ! HELP ME!"  

Didn't do it for their glory

Matthew 6:1-4 says, "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.  “So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. “But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you."  Christ knows our sinful human hearts.  We want to be praised, assured, and approved.  He knows missionaries are no exception (as we too are HUMAN!).  And while this is sometimes part of childishness in our offspring, my boys didn't serve their tiny hineys off for their glory.  They didn't serve so they could go post it to Facebook or write a blog or run off to their supporters and friends to brag of how much work they put in for these teams to come.  They did it because they love Jesus. They want to obey out of gratitude for what they have been gifted.  They may sometimes seek my approval or Adam's approval, but we attempt to teach them that their worth is found in Christ and no one else.  And that the glory does not fall on them for their good works but on God who used them as His instruments.  I want to be more like my children when I grow up! They are the best teachers!      



Tim Keller is a pretty good teacher, too! 
Second to my children! Ha!

















No comments:

Post a Comment