Friday, September 27, 2013

In Joy and Sorrow

This week has been interesting, to say the least.  We are suffering some culture shock, without a doubt.  The poverty here will challenge anyone's worldview.  I have shed some tears in utter disbelief of what I am seeing.  And there are plenty of things here that are just plain different than our own culture AND the culture of Costa Rica where we just spent a year.  Our children's adjustment is just as confused yet vital as ours and takes some time and care.  And then, I could make a laundry list of things have have been less than pleasant, the top of the list being our house being broken into again and all our Wii games stolen. (Yes, someone came over the razor-wire fencing and robbed us through the bars that protect all of the windows.)  Some definite sorrows in the mix this week.

There have been some joys, too.  The main one being we continued to search for a community in which to start a ministry and the Lord was faithful in helping us see clearly.  We still have some leg work to do to narrow it down but are thrilled that we are moving in that direction and closer to making a decision.

We don't have to look hard to see the blessings in all of it.  There is evidence of growth in our marriage through hard things and conversations as well as the fun and new adventures, too. The strengthening our faith is produced through the perseverance of the less than desirable circumstances. We are becoming versed in how to love our children better.  We are also learning how the Lord loves the poor and more of His perfect character. 


It's not hard to realize that we had such an easy life in the States and how I couldn't see that then.  I watch pictures flash by on my screen saver and know we had so much nice stuff, so much comfort, so much ease. Safety is relative but it seemed like we had that, too.  I know it was not in vain to give it up, not for loss.  I know we are here in His perfect time for His purpose.  I have more verses posted around the house as idiot reminders than I did before.  I have to because otherwise my sinful mind and heart forget and go back to the easy, the "safe," and the comfortable.  

God is indeed good.  He is my home. He is my fortress. He is my treasure.  I want to treasure Christ more than any Wii game, than any earthly possession, than any stability, than any certainty of my children's safety, than any ease that I sometimes crave.  This week, I am seeing and worn down by the fact that there is a cost. But that too is ok because Christ bought me with the greatest cost.  He suffered 
more than I am suffering for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment