Monday, September 16, 2013

Calendar Girl: A Tale of Cultural Differences

Exactly two weeks ago today, Monday, September 2, 2013, we were registering Jacob at his new school.  I had sat through a day of classes with him and concluded that this was the school that would fit our needs as well as Jacob's.

We got home and realized we didn't have a school calendar in the mix of papers and still had a couple of questions. No problem.  We'll ask tomorrow.  Here's how the riveting conversation went:

Michelle: "Ms. Sanchez, we didn't get a school calendar.  Do you have one or should I ask the office?"
Ms. Sanchez: Ummmm, you will need to talk to the Preschool Principal."
Michelle: "Perfect. Thanks. Have a great day!"

I kissed Jacob goodbye and walked across the schoolyard and popped my head into the principal's office:

Michelle: "Good morning!  I was just talking to Ms. Sanchez and she said I could get a school calendar from you."
Principal: "A school calendar?"
Michelle: "Yes. With the start and end dates of the school year, holidays, Christmas break...??"
Principal: "Well, the teachers have calendars.  They are the only ones who receive calendars."

Amidst my shock and horror, I convinced myself to breathe. No calendar. Spasms. In my quick thinking, I mustered up the next question:

Michelle: "But how will I know when there are days off?"
Principal: "Oh! Don't worry!  We'll send a note home letting you know!"

Note: I may have a physcological problem when it comes to calendars.  I might be a little OCD when it comes to organization and dates.  The first thing I did after I unpacked our bags was take this beautiful pristine whiteboard at the house and turn it into a calendar and a menu plan. When I met my husband, I would go into convulsions at the the suggestion of going and doing something without making plans first..."but it's not on the calendar." I might also be American. 

Sure enough, we received the following note from Jacob after school on Friday, September 13, 2013 stating there would be no school today, Monday, September 16, 2013 OR tomorrow, Tuesday, September 17, 2013.  Nevermind it's dated Thursday, September 12, 2013 which would have given me 4 days notice instead of three. Also nevermind that the information is one sentence/the second paragraph:



The moral of the story: I should probably chill out.  I will chant what they taught us in cross cultural training, "It's not weird, it's not wrong, it's just different."  This calendar thing is definitely different for me.  In Costa Rica, when you made plans they would add, "If the Lord allows," or "If God wants."  Another phrase was, "What if it rains?"  This always brought James 4 to mind, so I'll leave you with that:

James 4:13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment