Saturday, May 25, 2013

What Will We Eat or Drink?

Tonight a small face was wedged between the bars of our gate peering in through the open front door.  We were sitting at the table eating dinner and I knew we were being watched.  I (Michelle) looked up from my homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich to connect with the little face outside only to see him jump out of view. My attempt to make eye contact had been evaded.  The next time I looked up, I could only see the back of his head...a personal weakness when it comes to my own children.  Something so sweet about that cute little hairline.  I know it's weird.  Our 11 year old neighbor was sitting on the ground outside our gate with his head leaned against it.  Adam asked if we could invite him in for dinner.  He didn't hesitate to accept the invitation and gobbled the meal right up.

Every week we have at least one person bang on our gate and request something.  Sometimes it's money, sometimes it's dry uncooked rice and beans, sometimes it's a hot meal, other times it's a diaper or a shirt or some shoes for their child.  This was peculiar in the first month or so we were here.  So unusal in comparision to our experiences in the United States.  I also struggled in the beginning because it seemed to me like we had just given everything up...all our belongings now fit in 10 duffle bags...what could I possible have to give that I didn't need myself.  At any rate, over the last 9 months the Lord has continually humbled me and brought His truths to mind whenever someone shows up at our gate and we can provide a very basic need for them.

Truth # 1: God loves us. (1 John 4:7-12)

Truth #2: The Lord provides exactly what we need every day. (Exodus 16: Manna)

Truth #3: I need not worry about anything. (Matthew 6:25-34)

Truth #4: When I serve others, I am serving Jesus. (Matthew 25:31-46)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Michelle! This is a good word to hear. I was just admonishing myself tonight regarding my negative attitude toward a beggar who came to our gate this evening. If I rely on my mood to dictate my attitude toward others it will be completely inconsistent, but if I let the word of God be my guide then I will be more likely to respond as Christ would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Will writing, not Allison. She always is generous.

      Delete