Friday, September 16, 2016

What A Mess

Vicente quit. In some small part it came as a relief.  He had been struggling for months through some personal issues and there were questions about his qualifications in leading a church. But it also hurt, deeply.  Because it meant that the sin in his life was winning. This was messy.

Then there was the church. How to lead them through this? Well the church didn’t want to see their pastor go. They like him and he likes them. The church quickly convinced Vicente to continue pastoring. Neither party wanted to deal with the sin, just ignore it. Both were willing to overlook the root issues and continue down a path that will most likely lead to destruction. My teammates and I tried to warn the church of the danger they were in. The church rejected our words and demanded their pastor. The mess got messier.

Then there’s me. I knew Vicente had his issues. I’d been working with him for almost 2 and half years.  The last 8 months were especially focused on working through some of those issues. And I was giving myself far too much credit in my ability to help Vicente out of the pit he has dug.  Sure I suggested and offered resources outside of myself but he didn’t want them. And secretly, I was hopefully that I could be the driving force behind a change. If I just tried hard enough and spent enough time, I could influence him. But only the Holy Spirit can convict us of our sins. I’m messy.

And I almost forgot…then there’s God. God meets us in the mess. He is not surprised by our mess. He does not worry and fret about it like we do. He doesn’t lose it and yell at us to “shape up!” That’s because he came down to us. He got dirty himself. To clean up my mess. To clean up your mess. He didn’t have to. He had every right to punish us for what we’ve done. But he knows it’s too much for us.  That we would be absolutely obliterated by his wrath. And He loves us. Just because. Because that’s who He is. And when he cleaned up our mess He did it once and for all. It is finished. Sure there will be more messes in our lives…but He’s already taken care of those! It really is finished. And one day he’ll come to take us home where we won’t have to live in this messy world anymore. Until then we can rest in knowing that even in the mess He has us covered.

God started something in La Trejo and he has the power to do whatever He wants with it. Sin doesn’t change that. Sin has no power over God. He has conquered it. There’s no mess however big or smelly or sticky that he can’t make look and smell like roses. Christ died for us while we were yet sinners.
Vicente needs Jesus.  The church in La Trejo needs Jesus. And I need Jesus.

Thank God that he doesn’t leave things to chance.  That he doesn’t leave things to us.  He is sovereign.  He reigns over all. The best possible leader of the church still is, always has been, and always will be on his throne.  All Hail the King of Kings, Lord Jesus!


Please pray for Vicente, his wife and their 4 children.  Pray that there would be repentance, true reconciliation and lasting peace within their marriage and family.

Please pray for the church in La Trejo.  Pray the words of 1 John 1:9 over the congregation. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Please pray for us as we seek what the Lord has next for us.  Pray Proverbs 3:5-6. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.”

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this, guys. Praying. Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately your story is too common. I will be praying for you. Dawn

    ReplyDelete