Thursday, January 30, 2014

What I Didn't Know I Needed

The other day I had an epiphany.  A moment in time where I realize there was a deep need in my life that was being filled that I had no idea needed to be filled before that exact moment.  Something I didn't know I needed.

Let me back up and state the obvious.  If you KNOW me, you know I HATE asking for help, HATE feeling like I am inconveniencing someone, and HATE feeling like someone has taken on something that I should be responsible for.  Yeah yeah, sounds like pride to me, too.

That being said, our teammates and our situation sometimes give us no choice but to rely on one another and live life in community in a way I can honestly say I have never experienced.  It's humbling and beautiful.  It's a picture of the body of Christ functioning the way I believe He intended it to function.  I didn't know I needed a life lived together.

It's a steep learning curve.  Learning to ask for help.  Learning to accept help when it's offered. Learning to offer help and invite people in. Learning to be vulnerable and show your faults.
Learning to love and show grace to others regardless of theirs.  Learning to truly live together in a true sense of community.  Not always easy but so necessary.  So necessary I didn't know I needed it until it was being fulfilled by my brothers and sisters in Christ whom I also call my teammates.

Who do you live life with?  Christ died so that we may one day live with Him again in Heaven.  I feel blessed that I already have a taste of that here on earth now!  

“God has prepared for Himself one great song of praise throughout eternity, and those who enter the community of God join in this song. It is the song that the “morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy” at the creation of the world. (Job 38:7). It is the victory song of the children of Israel after passing through the Red Sea, the Magnificat of Mary after the annunciation, the song of Paul and Silas in the night of prison, the song of the singers on the sea of glass after their rescue, the “song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb” (Rev. 15:3) It is the song of the heavenly fellowship.” ― Dietrich BonhoefferLife Together: The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community


No comments:

Post a Comment