Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Bumbling Missionary

Learning Spanish is much harder than I thought it would be.  At times I become so discouraged with my progress (or lack of) that I begin to question my missionary calling.  "How can God use me?"  "Wouldn't He be better off sending someone that already speaks Spanish?"

I am reminded of Moses.  When God called Moses to free his people from Egypt, Moses doubted saying, "Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and tongue."

God responded, "Who has made man's mouth?  Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind?  Is it not I, the Lord?  Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak."

In this way, God freed his people THROUGH Moses.  Moses didn't have to be a great leader or speaker, all he had to do was trust in the Lord and obey Him.

My situation is similar.  God certainly didn't call me to go to Honduras because I posses skills and abilities that are useful to Him.  He called me simply because it was his will.  I don't have to speak Spanish perfectly (thank God).  I simply have to trust and obey Him.

My struggles with Spanish remind me that this work is 100% His.  To HIM be the glory!

-Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment